WSS-XVII Armee Korps
WSS-,,Hunyadi" 1
WSS-,,Hunyadi" 2
WSS-,,Hungaria" 1
WSS-,Hungaria" 2
WSS-,,Hungaria" 3
WSS-,,Gombos" & other Divisions
WSS-Alarm Battalion
RFSS-1st Schi Battalion
RFSS-Brigade ,,Ney"
RFSS-1st Sturmjaeger Regiment
Uniforms & Insignia
WSS-,,Hunyadi" 1

25th SS Grenadier Division ,,Hunyadi” (ungarische Nr.1)(1)




25. Freiwilligen Grenadier Division         (1 May 1944(2) – 2 Nov 1944)

25. Waffen Grenadier Division der SS Hunyadi (ungarische Nr. 1)       (2 Nov 1944 – May 1945)




SS – Standartenfuhrer Thomas Muller     (30 Sept 1944 -2 Nov 1944)

SS – Gruppenfuhrer and SS General Leutnant (3)  Jozsef Grassy       (2 Nov 1944 – 8 May 1945) (4)

SS – Standartenfuhrer Gero Tenesvari  (5)


                       Thomas Muller                                       Jozsef Grassy


Grassy attending Divisionsführerlehrgänge Course 14. Kurs (Hirschberg)
08.09. - 07.10.1944 with
Helmut Bechler, SS-Nikolaus Heilmann,  SS-Hugo Kraas, Rudolf Bader, Johannes Bruhn, Hans-Joachim Deckert, Rudolf Demme (20.09. left to m.f.b. 17. PzDiv.), SS-Berthold Maack, Werner Heucke, Hans Laengenfelder, Max Sachsenheimer, SS-Joachim Richter.

Chief of Staff


1a (First Staff Officer and titular chief – of – staff)


SS-Sturmbannfuhrer Adam Podhradszky


1b (Quartermaster)


SS-Hauptsturmfuhrer Herbert Engel     (? 1944 – 1 Mar 1945)


IIa (Divisional Adjutant)


SS-Sturmbannfuhrer Fritz Ulrich

SS-Hauptsturmfuhrer Andreas Szinay   

Unit History


September 10 1944: Ferenc Szálasi learns of meetings between Csatay and Winkelmann concerning the formation of SS divisions. Ferenc Szálasi is opposed to the raising of the divisions at this moment in time and makes it known that he will not accept any contract that is signed.


October 10 1944: SS Brigadefuhrer Josef Grassy is nominated as commanding officer of what will become the 25th SS division ,,Hunyadi”. SS – Standartenfuhrer Thomas Muller is nominally in command until the division is up and running.

October 15 1944: Hungarian leader Admiral Horthy is deposed by a coup led by the Germans and is replaced by Hungarian Nazi leader Count Ferenc Szalasi

October 23 1944 (6): Hungarian Defence Minister General Karoly Beregly meets HSFFP (higher SS and police commander) Hungary Otto Winkelmann. The raising of several SS divisions of soldiers and officers from the Hungarian army along with non-Hungarian army personnel is discussed. These would have uniforms and equipment provided by Germany.

Otto Winkelmann


October 26 1944: Agreement is reached setting out the conditions for the Hungarian SS formations


In among the agreement are the following stipulations:


1.       The volunteers are to serve for the duration of the war


2.       The strength and size of the Hungarian divisions will be the same as other SS divisions


3.       The language of command will be Hungarian, senior officers will be expected to know German


4.       Division honour titles will come from Hungarian history


5.       The division will be trained in Hungary, troops may be assigned to camps in Germany for specialist training


6.       The units will be employed in the defence of Hungary


7.       The Waffen SS will provide military equipment, uniforms and arms from Germany. Transport will be provided by the Hungarians


8.       Hungarian troops will wear the Hungarian national shield on the upper left sleeve of tunics and divisional cuff title on the left arm.


9.       Hungarian males had to be at least 17 and those under 21 need parental permission to enlist.


10.       Any volunteers will retain their Hungarian citizenship as stated in the April 14 1944 agreement.


11.       Hungarian SS troops will have the same rights as other SS troops


12.       Hungarian volunteers are not to be transferred to non-Hungarian SS divisions.


13.       If there is a shortfall in the number of volunteers then the Hungarian Defence ministry would provide the remaining men needed to form the division(s)

These are to be split into two groups. ,,Kossuth”, ,,Petofi”, ,,Flip” and ,,Bem” are to be part of the German army and ,,Hunyadi”, ,,Hungaria”, ,,Gombos” and ,,Gorgey” are to be part of the Waffen SS. (7)                          


  HQ staff and Unit Commanders 25.SS ,,Hunyadi"
Including Jozsef Grassy, Bela Peinlich and Gero Temesvari

October 28 1944: Károly Beregfy Hungarian Minister of Defence issues the order that Hungarians can volunteer for service in the ,,Hunyadi” division even though the SS Head Office has not yet formally acknowledged the formation of the division. The deadline for volunteers is November 20 1944.(8)

Early November 1944: Posters and a radio campain to recruit volunteers begins.

November 1 1944: Defense MinisterBeregfy and deputy chief of Defence Staff, Lieutenant General Feketehalmy-Czeydner make contact with the Germans in Vienna .

November 2 1944: The ,,Hunyadi” division is formed on paper by SS – Fuhrungshauptamt (Order SSFHA-Amt l.Org.Abt.la/ll Tgb,Nr. 4021/44 g.Kdos. vom 2.11.1944} as the SS 1. Hungarian Waffen-Grenadier division with an order of battle of 25 (the 25. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS [ungarische Nr. 1]). The unit will eventually consist of Hungarian volunteers including a large number of soldiers from the Hungarian 13th Light infantry division (approximately 40% of the division are former members of thje Honved), youngsters of Levente Institution
(9) and conscripts. Both the Wehrmacht and Waffen SS transfer offices and NCO’s to the division (including 1 SS ,,Adolf Hitler”, 2 SS ,,Das Reich”, 3 SS ,,Totenkopf”, 5 SS ,,Viking” and 7 SS ,,Prinz Eugen” - some being wounded veterans unable to return to the front.) as do the Hungarian Honvedseg.


Grassy starts to assemble his divisional staffat Zalaszentgrót. These include SS Waffen-Standartenführer Ádám Podhradszky (who as a captain had served under Grassy in the 13th Light Infantry division) and István M. Dragolovich who Grassy also knows.


November 3 1944: The ,,Hunyadi” division's divisional staff arrive at Zalaszentgrót by car and wait for the first volunteers' arrivalfrom Budapest.


November 4 1944: Beregfy learns that SS Head Office has issued the official set up command for the SS 25. Division ,,Hunyadi” as a Waffen-grenadier division and not a Waffen-Panzer grenadier has he had hoped for. He later issues a redefined provision, in which he modifies the Hungarian division's name and states that the ,,Hunyadi” division would be equipped the same as a German Panzer Grenadier Division. The “Waffen-Panzer Grenadier”( „Hunyadi" páncélgránátos hadosztályba) title is used on recruiting posters put up in Hungary.

November 8 1944: Mobilisation of men between 17 and 60 in the Budapest area is announced

November 9 1944: The first of the ,,Hunyadi” division's volunteers board their train at Kelenföldi station in Budapest and later in the day arrive at Mosonszentjános. 



November 10 1944: Beregfy issues his new provision of the description of 25 Panzer Grenadier Division ,,Hunyadi". It calls for volunteers from the 1914 - 1927 classes, stating that Officers should have a knowledge of German, volunteers had until the 20th of November to complete the papers.
Approximately 12 officers and Lieutenants transfer from SS 1 Hungarian Ski battalion to 25th division ,,Hunyadi” as ,,Hunyadi” is lacking in junior officers with any experience of combat.

 Volunteers for ,,Hunyadi” begin to assemble at Zalaergerszeg in southwest Hungary.

 Kampfgruppe ,,Deak” is incorporated into 25 SS ,,Hunyadi” (see separate section on Kampfgruppe ,,Deak”). The Kampfgruppe becomes the corner stone of 61 regiment.László Deák becomes CO of 61 Regiment.

November 11 1944: two days after arriving at Mosonszentjános the soldiers from ,,Hunyadi” are placed in barracks.
Men who received their call up notices arrive at
Zalaergerszeg. At the station they are met and taken to a courtyard to be greeted by a German SS officer. They are kept in groups based on their place of origin e.g. Szigetváriak, Kaposvár while they are processed. Around noon they are given cabbage soup for a meal. In the evening they are put on a train bound for Zalaszentgrót.

November 13 1944: On arrving at Zalaszentgrót the men are met by Martin Zoldi who sorts them out into the required groups. Sometime after arrival Grassy gives a speech to the assembled men stating that they are fighting for their homeland and that volunteers only are required for the job and any one who does not want to volunteer can leave. Some members of the division while at Zalaszentgrót are put up in a school. While at Zalaszentgrót German uniforms are issued to some members of the division (these do not have collar patches on the tunic). Training begins by Hungarian speaking instructors. This continues until December 5/6 1944.

November 15 1944: Hungarian War Ministry announces that 12 500 men are ready to serve in the division.


November 17 1944: Although a large part of the enlisted men have assembled, there is a shortage of Hungarian and German Officers and NCO’s.


November 18 1944: Standartenfuhrer Lorant Bodolay Bodola (11)takes over command of 62. Regiment.


Due to the military situation it is decided to move the division to Bruck (this is later changed) the division numbers approximately 16 700 men.

November 19 1944: Standartenfuhrer Josef Vecsey (Wittenberger) takes over command of 25 SS Ausbildungs & Ersatz Einheiten

Mid to late November 1944: Laszlo Rapcsányi visits the 12 training camps at which the ,,Hunyadi" and ,,St Laszlo" divisions are forming and reports to the Hungarian Parliament that although warehouses are full very little is reaching the Hungarian troops.
People wanting to volunteer for the ,,Hunyadi" division are told to a go to a school on Bocskai utca for enrolment. When here they assemble in the gymnasium. In groups of around 10 people they then go to a classroom where their personal details are taken  and a medical examination takes place. The volunteers are processed by NCO's from the Hungarian army in Hungarian uniforms. Cold food is issued during the enrolment process.
One group of volunteers march to Kelenföld railway station to wait for a train to take them to Zalalövő. During the wait some of the volunteers break into some of the wagons in the station and steal various items (mostly alcohol and food). The items are taken on the train but are consumed by the time gendarmes search the train around Székesfehérvár. After reaching Zalalövő the volunteers where taken to a local manor house where they slept in the stables. They were then moved to various villages in the area (including Vaspör where they were taken to a school. The school consited of 2 classrooms, one of which was the headquarters and the other classroom was the kitchen. They were then moved to houses in the village. While here 2 men are executed by NCO's for deserting).

November 20 1944: Most of the division (approximately 10 000 men) are now told that they are to transfer to Neuhammer. Most are to be located at Strans and rest at the old camp in Neuhammer (this is part of operation „Hellebarde”)

Approximately 4000 men (and their families) are loaded on trains in Zalaszentgrót and leave for Neuhammer.

 Standartenfuhrer Bela Peinlich replaces Standartenfuhrer Lorant Bodolay Bodola as commander of 62 regiment. Standartenfuhrer Dezso Magyary takes over command of 63 regiment.

 25 Waffen-Schi battalion is raised from Hungarian Mountain troops.

Some troops transfer to Waffen-SS specialist schools.

November 21 1944: The original deadline for joining ,,Hunyadi” having passed is extended due to communication problems. The deadline is moved several times in the up coming weeks.

November 22 1944: The ,,Hunyadi” division absorbs 800 members of the 1st Hungarian SS schi Battalion (12)

November 23 1945: 3 700 men from Zalaegerszeg by train  and 1 000 men leave from Vasvar by road for Neuhammer.

November 24 1944: The Commanding Officer of the 1st Hungarian SS Schi Battalion arrives at Neuhammer along with most of his Officers and 1000 men. The 800 men absorbed in to the ,,Hunyadi” division are taken back and the Schi Battalion is re-assembled

4 000 men from Tuerje leave for Neuhammer.

Hilpotstein 1945
Grassy and Dr Peal Liszka

November 25 1944: Minister of defence Beregfy dissolves the Hungarist movement's Halálfejes Légió and the members are transferred to the ,,Hunyadi” division.

November 27 1944: Some sources say that 800 men are killed and 650 wounded in a US air attack on a train between Bierbaum and Hartberg transporting the unit to Neuhammer (this action is not confirmed).

November 29 1944: Division numbers approximately 18 000 men.

 Parts of ,,Hunyadi” arrive in the area around Zalaszentgrót from Budapest with some being stationed at Zala.

November 30 1944: ,,Hunyadi" numbers 19 777 men.

December 1944: German and Hungarian Military Police units under Captain Marton Zoldi begin to impose order on the recruits at Rajka. 

Marton Zoldi


December 1 1944: Last elements of the unit leave the training centre at Zalaergerszeg.

Hungarian Defence ministry sets up a recruiting camp at Rajka.

December 2 1944: Standartenfuhrer Odon Magyary takes over command of 25-artillery regiment.

December 5 1944: 2 000 men from Tuerje (13) and 2 000 men (including most of the German personal) from Vasvar set off for Neuhammer. The men stationed at Zalaszentgrót are informed that due to the situation of the Russians approaching that they are to be Transferred to Germany to complete their training.

December 6 1944: The Divisional staff and units from ,,Hunyadi” start arriving at Neuhammer camp.
Volunteers in the village of Vaspör are ordered to kill several pigs from the village. The pigs killed in Vaspör are taken to Szombathely ( possibly Kormend) and placed in railway wagons and left guarded overnight.

December 7 1945: Troops and volunteers set off from Budapest Keleti railway station for Rajka via Kisbény and Köny.

December 8 1944: Volunteers in the village of Vaspör march to the railway station at Szombathely.

December 10 1944: The number of men from ,,Hunyadi” at Neuhammer camp now numbers 20 567. This number is larger than the German’s had planned for, it is not helped by the addition of a number of men from the 20. SS Division (1. Estonian) being at the camp at the same time. The food that was allocated for the original number of approximately 13 500 is stretched to feed the 20 000 that actually were on the camp. The same applies to accommodation with more than one person using a bed.Around this time uniforms are issued to the division. Those based at Neuhammer receive a uniform but those at Strans are still mostly in civilian clothes.

20 days after being ordered to move, the parts of the ,,Hunyadi” division in Zala start their train journey to Neuhammer,

The Hungarian government orders full mobilisation of men between 17 and 61 and at the various collecting stations (Nagycenk, Rajka, Kisbér etc.) people are asked if they want to go to Germany and fight in the German Wehrmacht or Waffen-SS

Order of battle (20 567 men)
Commander SS - Brigadefuhrer Jozef Grassy
1a Waffen - Standartenfuhrer Adam Podhradszky
1b Hauptsturmfuhrer Herbert Angel (German)
1b Hauptsturmfuhrer Andreas Szinay
Divisional Staff (FP 00 020)
Military Police platoon
Translator platoon
Signals platoon
Messenger platoon (motorcycle)
Divisional Security/Reconnaissance platoon
Waffen Gren.Rgt. der SS 61 (ungarisches Nr 1) (FP 08 104)

Composition I. (1-4 Kp)  (FP 39 881)  II.( 5-8 Kp)  (FP 00 706)   13 IG      14 Flak

SS - Oberfuhrer Laszlo Deak
Waffen Gren.Rgt. der SS 62 (ungarisches Nr 2) (FP 01 121)

Composition I (1-4 Kp)  (FP 17 380)  II(5-8 Kp) (FP 01 817)     13IG      14 Flak

Waffen - Standartenfuhrer Gero Temesvari



Standartenfuhrer Gero Temesvari


Waffen Gren.Rgt. der SS 63 (ungarisches Nr 3) (FP 20 689)

Composition I (1-4 Kp)  (FP 01 121)  II(5-8 Kp)  (FP 02 110)   13IG     14 Flak

Waffen - Standartenfuhrer Bela Peinlich

Waffen Artillerie Rgt. der SS 25 (ungarisches Nr 1) (FP 41 777)

Composition I (1-3 battr) 7.5cm PAK  (FP 64 266)  II(4-5 battr) 10.5 cm  (FP 45 525)   III(7-8 battr) 10.5cm   (FP 65 614}   IV(10-11 battr) 15cm (FP 03 527)

Waffen - Standartenfuhrer Odon Magyar



Standartenfuhrer Oden Magyar



SS Ausbildungs & Ersatz Einheiten 25

Waffen - Obersturmbannfuhrer Josef Vecsey


SS Versorgungs Rgt. 25

SS - Standartenfuhrer Josef Siemensreiter


December 11 1944: P–38 aeroplanes attack a train carrying some of the ,,Hunyadi” division in between Rátót and Szentgotthárd around noon. 29 men die in the course of the attack and another 70 are wounded. They are the division's first official wartime dead.

1 160 men leave for Neuhammer and travel via Rajka.

December 12 1944: A telegram from Army group south contains details of the proposed transfer of ,,Hunyadi'' along with 31st SS Grenadier Division, 58th SS Gebirgs brigade (Tartar nr.1) and various volksdeutsche police battalions. On this  day Army group South is informed of the ,,Hunyadi” divisions move to Neuhammer by Waffen SS Headquarters.
On this day posters appear in the village of Komárom asking for volunteers for the ,,Hunyadi" division. There is also a seperate poster asking for volunteers for the 25 SS ski battalion.


December 14 1944: The deadline for applications to join the new divisions is extended.

On this date (or the following day - 15th December) members of ,,Hunyadi"/,,Hungaria" arrive in Vienna on their way to Neuhammer camp and manage to visit the city before continuing their journey to Prague.(15)

December 15 1944: Operation „Hellebard” is now joined by Operation ,,Zuckerdose” to move the Hungarian troops.

The original deadline for applications ends.

SS Grenadier Ausbildungs und Ersatz Battalion 35 based in Bruss, near Konitz becomes the Ersatz battalion for ,,Hunyadi''


Mid December 1944: 25 flak detachment is sent to SS Artillery training and Replacement Regiment in Munich.


December 18 1944: Feldgrau uniforms along with helmet and bayonets are issued to members of ,,Hunyadi”

December 19 1944: Arms distributed to divisions 61 and 62. This consists of 2 000 K98k rifles, 1 000 P-08 pistols, 100 MP40’s,(16) 50 MG42’s and 25 Gr.W.34 8cm mortars. These weapons go primarily to 61 regiment. Nr 61-grenadier regiment as the most experienced is the first to reach combat efficiency

December 21 1944: Between now and the end of December the following troops arrive at Neuhammer- Remnants of the 16. Border Hunter battalion (due to lack of space thse men were billeted in Bad Saarow), a contingent of police, approximately 40 newly appointed Ensigns from the ,,Prince Csaba” cadet school and approximately 100 acting officers (non-commissioned officers) from the ,, Paul Kinizsi” army officer training school. Except for the police non-of the other arrivals have arms.


December 22 1944: Training begins. Due to the lack of weapons the men are split into morning and afternoon shifts and share the weapons. Over the next few weeks with half of Hungary under Russian control the Hungarians complain that the Germans seem more interested in holding German language lessons than issuing and holding weapon training,


December 23 1944: The 25. Attack Artillery Company is replaced in Budapest by a guard detail and so avoids being surrounded.


22 801 Hungarians are at Neuhammer after transferring to camp. The number of men arriving at the camp ease after this date.
Around this time there are approximately 50,000 men at Neuhammer camp, these include Estonian and German troops and 3,000 Russian prisioners of war. The men from ,,Hunyadi"  are scattered around the Neuhammer training camp, officers are placed in stone houses while the rest of the men are placed in whatever space is available and it is not unknown for 2-3 people to share a 75cm bed. Temperatures average around -18 to 20 degrees and

December 24 1944: A courier from the defense ministry arrives at Neuhammer camp and annouces the formation of a second Hungarian SS Division. He also informs the authorities that approximately 10,000 more men are on their way to the camp.

December 25 1944: Division receives 27 2.5-ton trucks.

December 26 1944: P–38 Lightning aeroplanes attack a train between Bécsújhely and Németújvár which is carrying part of the ,,Hunyad” division towards Vienna from Körmend. 797 men die while another 600 are wounded. The 523 Hungarian military hospital's ambulances transport the large part of the wounded to the local Faludy Ferenc Gymnasium. German doctors handle a small amount of the wounded in Graz

December 28 1944: It is announced that a second Hungarian division is to be set up. 8 000 men from ,,Hunyadi” are to used as the nucleus for the new division.

December 29 1944: The ,,Hunyadi” Division receives 100 machine pistols, 50 light machine guns, 25 Gr.W.34 8cm mortars, 5 Pak 40 7.5cm anti tank guns along with 3 000 panzerfaust’s  (17) , 1600 bicycles (18) thus increasing the divisions armament by 25 – 30%.

December 31 1945:(19) Neuhammer is visited by SS Brigadefuhrer Fanzlau and Gruppenfuhrer Gottlob Berger and they inspect the ,,Hunyadi” division. From ,,Hunyadi" and ,,Hungaria" a Honour guard is formed - the majority of the  Honour guards are Feldgendarm's who are immaculately turned out. The length of  their cloaks are shortened, and white thread gloves are distributed and according to one veteran cuff titles are issued to the members of the Honour guard (they are taken back after the visit). The Hungarian and the German state one flags are hoisted before the main building, the Hungarian national flag decorated it. A Arrow-Cross flag is not available so a deaths head flag is used instead.  The Hungarian national flag is at the lead of the cavalcade. This is accompanied by two Waffen Standartenjunker ( each supplied with a swords), and Waffen SS Standarteroberjunker (who carries the flag). The Honour guards are issued with Hungarian Mannlicher rifles and not German K98k's. (20)


,,Hunyadi" Officers Mess
Jozsef Grassy, Heinz Fanslau and Adam Podhradszky (right to left)




January 1945: Forming at Neuhammer. Still training when Russians entered Silesia.

Due to the freezing conditions and with many of the ,,Hunyadi” troops still in civilian clothes a mixture of uniforms and clothing are issued.(21)

 The 25 SS Waffen Pioneer Battalion are transferred for training to the Somme barracks in Passau (22), This ,,Hunyadi” formation is the only one to be properly equipped by the Germans.

 Oberfuhrer Deak is named deputy divisional commander (he retains the command of 61 regiment).

During January and February 1945 20 men are charged with escape and insubordination.

January 1 1945: ,,Hungaria” is ordered to Sieradz in Poland thus leaving ,,Hunyadi” (with a few small parts of ,,Hungaria”) alone at Neuhammer camp. The Estonian troops are ordered to go to Breslau.

January 2 1945: After travelling via Sumeg, Rigacs, Pozsonyligetfalu and Deutsche-Raterwitz the Hungarian 25. Attack artillery arrives in the area of Strans camp. They arrive without equipment at Neuhammer camp so it is decided that with their artillery experience to retrain them as tank hunter soldiers. The plan being that they will become 25. Waffen tank hunter section.

The planned order of battle is as follows:

3 platoons tank hunters company (each section having 3 jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer class tank hunters)

3 platoons air defence machine gun cannons company (each section having 2 40mm air defence machine cannons) (23)

3 platoons towed tank-breaking company (each section having 3 7.5cm tank piercing cannons)


The towed tank breaking company goes to Leer near the Dutch border for training.


The anti aircraft company is commanded to go to Muchen for training.

The SS 25.Waffen tank hunter class goes south to Beneschau in Czechoslovakia for training along with a artillery battalion.(24)

Andreas Szinay, Jozsef Grassy and Adam Podhradsky


January 3 1945: The Attack artillery section leave Strans for retraining. 

January 5 1945: 25 schi battalion is assigned to IV SS Panzer Corps (25) to assist the Corps efforts to relieve Budapest. Before leaving they are equipped with assault rifles. They travel by rail via Prague and Vienna to Gyroszentivan. 

January 19 1945: Beregfy (Hungarian minister of defence) issues general order 97.305./eln.1.o. Due to this order volunteers not only take an oath to Adolf Hitler, but they also take an oath to Ferenc Szálasi as "Furhrer of the Hungarian Nation"
January 26 1945:  The new oath is used and is to be said in German and Hungarian (a rough translation of the oath goes - ,, I swear to Adolf Hitler, supreme commander of the armed forces and Szalasi, the head of the Hungarian nation, be faithful, unconditional obedience to all superiors for my behavior. I swear that everything is our enemy, I fight until the final victory everywhere
,, (26)


January 27 1945:  Ferenc Szálasi sends a letter to Adolf Hitler, in which he wants to clear up problems regarding the Hungarian SS divisions.

February 1945: In the first few days of February the ,,Hunyadi” division sort out from the enlisted men, those who’s qualification’s make them suitable to complete the officer course. After roll call one company of Hungarian officers is assembled, they are soon transported to Stettin.

Early February:  Standartenfuhrer Jeno Galgoc takes over 61 regiment when Oberfuhrer Deak becomes chief of staff of XVII Hungarian Waffen Army Corps der SS. 71 wounded and 50 men suffering with  illness' are transported to Sagan for treatment. There are no medicines or bandages at the hospital and the staff consists of one single doctor, two vets and one single pharmacist.


February 1 1945: 25th SS divisions ,,Hunyadi” and 26th SS divisions ,,Hungaria” reunite. This situation remains unchanged for the rest of the war. By this date the Russians have already moved 50-60 kilometres closer to Neuhammer training camp. The number of volunteers does not decrease but the Germans have great difficulty in providing equipment for them and never reach the proper level required to equip the division.

February 4 1945: The sounds of battle are heard for the first time at Neuhammer camp and SS Obergruppenfuhrer Grassy order’s a defensive line around Neuhammer and place’s the most experienced troops (some equipped with panzerfaust’s) in a semi-circle between the Neuhammer camp and the Russians. The defensive line is on the banks on the Bober river. 10 lorries from Waffen Kraftfahr kompamie der SS 25 ferries men on a daily basis to the front line to replace men who had been at the front.


Beregfy and Veesenmayer add one extra Convention to the October agreement. This concerns the legal status of and correction to the rules of the registrations and conditions of those troops transported to Germany.

February 5 1945:  To allow time for ,,Hunyadi" and ,,Hungaria" to withdraw so the 2 divisions can carry on equiping and building SS Obergruppenfuhrer Grassy order’s that the two divisions (25th and 26th) should form one corps. “Hunyadi” first chief of staff officer Waffen – Standartenfuhrer Adam Podhradszky informs Waffen – Standartenfuhrer Bela Peinlich (previously with SS 63 Waffen-grenadier battalion) to organise it. Peinlich was doubtful if this was possible considering the shortage of equipment. Eventually the best units from 25 SS division ,,Hunyadi” and 26 SS division ,,Hungaria” (mainly the 61 & 64 regiments) forms the ,,Hungarian SS Alarm regiment”under the command of Standartenfuhrer Bela Peinlich. (27)
A courier arrives at the camp with an order from Hungarian defense Minister Beregfy stating that as officers and non-commisioned offices are not available that the f
ormation of the 3rd and 4th Hungarian SS divisions be halted and the troops moved to the ,,Hunyadi" and ,,Hungaria" divisions.

February 6 1945: The ,,Hunyadi” division make quarters in the area around Oldenburg and Kloppengurg. Standartenfuhrer Jeno Temesvary Galgoc takes over command of 61 regiment. The Hungarian divisions leave on time. Approximately 55 000 – 60 000 soldiers are to be evacuated from Neuhammer, Vlaszow and Osszesen camps. 
Troops from the unformed ,,Gombos" and ,,Gorgey" divisions are absorbed by ,,Hunyadi" and ,,Hungaria"


February 7 1945: The remaining units of the ,,Hunyadi” divisionmove out of Neuhammer camp and move approximately 50 kilometres to the south to the Deutschgabel area in order to develop new barracks. It had been decided during the previous German-Hungarian meeting that 4 divisions were to be sent to the area so sufficient stores were brought in. 


February 8 1945: (For details of the battle for Neuhammer please see the separate section).

105 men from ,,Hunyadi” leave Neuhammer camp to go to Waffen Junkerschule der SS in Prague

February 12 1945: The ,,Hunyadi” division reaches the Goritz-Radmeritz-Ostriz-Marienthal district.


February 14 1945: Units of the ,,Hunyadi” division have reached the Kiesdorf-Neudorf-Grosshennersdorfon district after crossing the Strahwalde region.



The 105 men going to the Junkerschule in Prague reach Dresden just before the bombing of the city and are killed in the air raid.

A new agreement is reached between Hungary and Germany regarding the Hungarian SS divisions. Among the 15 points in the agreement are - the divisions will bear names chosen by the Hungarian Honved Ministry, the Commanders, Officers and NCO's of the divisions will be Hungarian, Hungarian will be the command language, the divisions remain a part of the Hungarian Honved Ministry, the divisions will take an oath the the Hungarian head of state, Hungarian chaplins will provide the spiritual care for the divisions and that although part of the Waffen SS they will retain the Hungarian flag and only fight Russia.

February 15 1945: 11 trucks from the .,,Hunyadi” supply regiment arrive to move the remnants of the Alarm regiment. 11 more trucks join in during the day moving the men.(28)





February 17 1945The last of the Alarm regiment’s soldiers are relocated back to their original units.

By this time the Alarm regiment has suffered 57% losses. Out of approximately 2600 men, 544 men (including 17 officers (29)) have been killed and 955 men are listed as wounded or missing. Approximately 400 wounded are evacuated from Neuhammer but approximately 500 are left and they are captured by the Russians. 10 Hungarians are awarded the Iron Cross first class, 20 receive the Iron Cross second class, 1 Untersturmfuhrer is awarded the Hungarian Golden medal honour for officers and one Scharfuhrer is awarded the Hungarian Great Golden Honour medal for destroying 7 Russian tanks with panzerfaust’s. 3 Russian tanks are confirmed destroyed by the Alarm Battalion and 14 by the 1 SS Hungarian anti-tank platoon. 

Late February/March 1945: Whilst marching Martin Zoldi approaches members of ,,Hunyadi" asking for volunteers who wanted to fight and takes the weapons of other members.

Early March 1945: ,,Hunyadi” and its main divisional command post is near Nurnberg in Holpolstein (30). Training continues. The ,,Hunyadi” artillery men experience live firing but ,,Hungaria” artillery men just walk around their accommodation and only infantry start their elementary training because of the large number of recruits. The unit training is based on individual initiative- using what resources they have – the division continues not to receive its specified armament.

Because of the military situation one-month after reaching Stettin it is necessary to transfer the Hungarian company and its Officer training course repeatedly, by rail at first to Rostock, later from there they are transported by ferry into Denmark. Their training and officer’s course (with SS Haupsturmfuhrer Himpel commanding) continues close to Copenhagen, in one local sports hall near Haslev.

March 10 1945: ,,Hungaria" and ,,Hunyadi" now receive more than 5,000 rifles, 300 machine guns, 100 MG-42 machine guns, 50 81mm grenade launcher, and 3000 panzerfausts.

March 14 1945: Grassy writes a letter to the local Gualeiter (Gualeiter Giesler) after complaints of missing animals, empty milk churns and the trampling of crops.

March 22 1945: (31) Minister of Defence Károly Beregfy visit’s the Hungarian SS divisions along with Obergruppenfuhrer Hans Juttner, Brigadefuhrer Heinz Fanslau and General of Artillery Keiner (during the visit Beregfy makes a complaint to the Germans  concerning the lack of equipment.) A parade ground of sorts is made along with a viewing stand. Hungarian and German flags are flown along the road that leads to the area chosen for the parade. They arrive at approximately 15.00. They are greeted by Grassy wearing a steel helmet and with sword drawn. Members of ,,Hunyadi" & ,,Hungaria"  are formed up for inspection, (according to Jeno Major these are formed of  approximately one batallion of infantry with one battery of the anti-tank section). The rear ranks having no rifles but only side arms (the weapons for the soldiers were issued two days before the visit). After some speaches awards are given to members of the Alarm Regiment which fought at Neuhammer. During the day a small mock battle takes place. It consists of a advance by the infantry across open ground. The advance is a basic training excercise and no use is made of cover or houses that are near by. After a lunch an attempt is made to show the use of tanks and anti tank weapons but as the instructor can not find the tanks in the wood so it is cut short. During a lull in the display Jeno Major notices the well fed horses and new horse drawn transport for the anti tank weapons. On asking how the horses looked so well when horses in the Hungarian army looked to be starving he is informed that the horses and transport are from a German unit and are to be sent back after the visit had ended. The two divisions are also told that the issuing of equipment will be taking place in a few days time.

Sometime around this a date a order is issued from SS Headquarters that ,Hungaria" and ,,Hunyadi" are to be made combat ready by 1st May 1945.

Late March/early April 1945: some members of 25 SS Schi battalion (under Hauptsturmfuhrer Geza Pataki) who are stationed at barracks in Leoben attend a training course in Judenburg .


April 1945: The flak detachment originally sent to Munchen rejoins the division.


 100 Hungarian Officer Candidates after completing their training course at SS NCO School Radolfzell rejoin the 25th and 26th divisions


April 1 1945: Around this date men from the ,,Hunyadi” engineer battalion prepare anti tank traps and other obstacles on the Naab river, they are helped by 200 men from ,,Hungaria”
On this day General der Infanterie Weisenberger calls for assistance from ,,Hunyadi", ,,Hungaria", ,,Kossuth" and men from the NCO Training school ,,Jutas" to help defend military district XIII.

April 4 1945: On this date (or shortly after) Members from 25 SS Schi battalion are sent to the front. After a 2 day train journey and walking on foot (they have no transport except for a schimmwagen used by the officers. They put their equipment on abandened carts and due to lack of horses they pull the carts to the front) they reach the front and fight along side 5 SS division ,,Viking"


April 11 1945: At midnight with the Americans approaching the area that ,,Hunyadi” is stationed in, it is decided that once more that the division should move. The division is under German XIII army command (Wehrkreis XVII – Nurnberg command) and they insist on the division being deployed however the Hungarian formations refuse citing the agreement that they only fought on Hungarian soil. Jeno Ruszkay temporary commander of XVII Army corps contacts SS Command headquarters who order that the formation head to Steyr in Austria. Members of the ,,Hunyadi" division are informed just before midnight of the move.

April 12 1945: Written orders issued by Grassy announce that ,,Hunyadi” and ,,Hungaria” should share commander 

April 13 1945: the SS 26 (2. Hungarian) ,,Hungaria” Waffen – grenadier divisions independent story comes to an end, however one part of the division is divided into companies for other corps. The SS 26 (2. Hungarian) Waffen – grenadier division – 107 days old from formation – is dissolved by the Germans. The German intention is to divide the division among other corps but the Hungarians want it to stop together so the German plan is not carried out so ,,Hungaria” is absorbed into ,,Hunyadi” and it is regarded as an existing division. The ,,Hunyadi" division by evening is near Neustadt an der Donau.


Mid April 1945: The Officer company training in Denmark receives orders to leave immediately for the front. Because of this the taking of blood samples and the tattooing of the blood group on the arms is cancelled. One Berlin survivor thinks that this decision saves their lives when captured. The company passes through Hamburg and goes to Berlin. Commander SS Hauptsturmfuhrer Himpel there joins the Hungarians. One member of the division remembers “Already the days of our Berlin wondering merge into my memories, aerial alerts, refuges, ruins, carcasses. In the beginning in the air raid shelters civilians talked, hoping Weng (actually Wenck) would liberate Berlin. I saw one newspaper with an article by Goebbels (maybe his last) saying that Berlin was German and German it will stay. We were strolling in the city centre already (…..) it would be necessary to get to the west, to fall into American captivity, we dreamed of this”.

Else where the Hungarian SS panzerhunter-formations (the re named attack artillery section) retraining slowly progresses. They have just one experience of live firing with the Jagdpanzer 38(t) tank hunter. The Officers from one company are taken to the Skoda factory, which is close to Beneschau to see Hetzers being made. A Hetzer turns up at the training camp. The mechanics struggle to get it into working order. Later with a German crew it is sent to fight in the defence of Berlin.

The Hungarian SS panzerhunter-formations still remains without vehicles, and so the company is supplied with personal infantryman weapons instead, later one Hetzer is hurriedly picked up, With a German officer in command it is assigned to a battalion.

April 15 1945: Over the next few days 25 SS Division ,,Hunyadi" receives German personal and assistance from “Kampfgruppe Siegling”
The members of the 25th Pioneer battalion from ,,Hunyadi" under Hauptsturmführer Miklos Keresztury should have rejoined the division around midnight but are forced to go to Passau.

April 16 1945: Remnants of ,,Hunyadi” and ,,Hungaria” start heading towards Steyr in Austria.


April 23 1945: Army group ‘Weichsel’ requests 1100 replacements from ,,Hunyadi” (100 for III SS Germanic Panzer corps, 500 for 11 SS panzer grenadier division ,,Nordland” and 500 for 23 panzer grenadier division ,,Nederland” ) but this is ignored. 


April 28 1945: Armaments and material for the ,,Hunyadi” division consist of: 3781 K98k (out of this 250 with telescopic sights), 250 rifles, 2800 pistols, 300 MP-40’s, 50 light and, 25 heavy machine guns, 10 Gr.W.34 8cm mortars, 10 Gr.W.42 12cm mortars, 20 Infantry cannons, 10 PAK 40 7.5cm anti tank guns, 1800 panzerfaust’s, 50 panzershreks,4 Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer class tank hunters, 25 motorcycles, 19 personal automobiles, 55 freight automobiles, 3 RSO tractors, 3 8 tonnes and 3 18 tonnes tractors, 2500 bicycles, 52 field kitchens, 3 ovens and 16 other field items.

On or around this date approximately 1 000 men from the ,,Hunyadi” artillery and 61 grenadier regiment are called upon to help fight the Americans near Neustadt but this falls through and they return to the division after leaving their weapons 32) for the remaining German troops.

Around this date the Pioneers should have returned to SS 25 ,,Hunyadi” however American troops approach Regensburg and Passau. The German commander of Passau demands the blowing up of locks and the city bridges. The Americans threaten the city. The German commander (Brigadier General Hassenstein) wants the Hungarians Pioneers to stay in the city and help protect it. The Hungarian commander however wants the unit to leave the region. Hassenstein on hearing this uses field police to prevent the Hungarians from leaving and threatens court marshals. The SS 25 (1. Hungarian) Waffen-Alarm battalion stays in the city and blows up the main bridges in Passau. When the siege ends the battalion commander orders the equipment (pontoons, motor vehicles etc) to be destroyed. Later the formation flame-throwers are distributed. Later the Pioneer detachment begins its breakout attempt.

April 30 1945: the main part of ,,Hunyadi” is cut off from the control of SS Headquarters in Berlin and becomes under the Hungarian Ministry of Defense which is part of the exiled Hungarian Government.

End April 1945: Szálasi instructs Ruszkay and Grassy to surrender to the American forces.

Early May: The ,,Hunyadi” division battle group which has been travelling from Denmark is in Berlin near to the Brandenburg gate and the Spree. They move near the Reichstag to face more Russian divisions. Some men fall in the vicinity of the SS Headquarters at the corner of Berliner Strasse and the Kaiserallee. Some of the unit survives by getting out of the city by using the U-Bahn (Underground) but end up getting captured by the Russians. In the fighting 83 men (including 1 officer) die. 12 men (including 1 officer) are missing. (33)

May 1 1945: The bulk of the ,,Hunyadi" division is on Austrian territory.

May 2 1945: On the Day that Hassenstein commits suicide the Waffen Pioneer battalion break out from Passau towards Oberhausen. During the break out the 25th Waffen-Pioneer battalion suffers considerable losses. 350 men are killed and 71 are wounded.

Roth April 1945

According to one account the armament earmarked for the ,,Hunyadi” division was handed out, however the complete Hungarian volunteers store's had been allocated between the separate units so the divisions when drawn together never reached the combat readiness it may have attained. The XVII. Waffen-Armee-Korps der SS offers the surrender of the Hungarian Waffen-SS units under its command to the U.S. Forces.

May 2/3 1945: Arrangements are made for parts of the ,,Hunyadi" division to parade through Salzburg.

May 3 1945: Men from I battalion, 61st Waffen Grenadier Regiment destroy 2/3 American tanks in the St Martin / Ried Im Innkreis area.

May 4 1945: Before the surrender arrangements could be completed, a Kampfgruppe from the ,,Hunyadi” division (along with some Austrian Hitlerjugend members) engage an American armoured force of Patton's 3rd US Army (35) near Timelkam in Austria and manage to knock out 5 American tanks, the Americans decide to withdraw, having no interest in taking further losses at this stage of the war.

May 5 1945: An American Captain in a jeep along with 2 armoured cars arrive in Attersee. He proceeds to the Divisional HQ and after saluting the guards at the door enters the room and enquires who is the commander. Gerő Temesváry answers in broken English that he is in command and when asked what is the name of the division replies "1st Hungarian Panzergrenadier division". He is then asked about the 'H' collar patch and what it stands for. He replies that it it stands for 'Hungarian' making no comment that the division is part of the SS. After the surrender agreement is finalised about 1/3 of the 25th SS Division ,,Hunyadi” surrender to the US 80th Infantry division (under McBride) part of US XXth Corps (under Walker) north of Salzkammergut near Lake Attersee in Austria The remainder of the Hungarian soldiers have intermingled with the Hungarian refugees. Many are rounded up in the following days.

May 3-7 1945: Between these dates the ,,Hunyadi" division receives it accomadation area's. These are Attersee, Buchberg, Seewalchen, Timelkam, Vöcklamarkt, Mösendorf, Pettinghofen, Lenzirg, Aurachkirchen, Gmunden, Gschwandt, Mühldorf & St Konrad.


May 7 1945: 1 + 2 regiments batteries move from Strans camp 


May 8 1945: After being transported to the Graz region (where on the first night the German troops left leaving the Hungarians on their own) the attack artillery men march north – north-east towards the towns of Leoben, Gresten and Gaming struggling to avoid capture by the Russians. The formation stop at Waidhoven on the Ybbs and hear of the truce and that the Enns river will be the American-Russia border zone. The remnants of the SS 25 Artillery battalion (the SS 25 Waffen - tank hunter battalion) cross the Enns River near Garsten to the western bank and surrender to the American troops.


May 11 1945: A number of ,,Hunyadi” troops along with the remnants of 1st Hungarian Schi Battalion surrender to the Americans in the Attersee area.

September 19 1945: Hungarian soldiers captured in the battle for Berlin are allowed to go home.

September 23 1945: The officers headquarters is located in the old royal palace belonging to the Schaumburg-Lippe family. One of the children in the family becomes ill with typhus. A local Austrian doctor is called. He refuses to treat the child due to the familys links to Dr Gobbels. Standartenfuhrer Bela Peinlich on hearing of this sends a medical orderly from ,,Hunyadi" but unfortunately the child dies days later

Return to top of page


When first formed in July 1944  the 22. SS Division ,,Maria Theresia" was known as SS Division Ungarn and was called this until September 1944 when it became 22 SS Freiwilligen Kavallerie Division (Ungarische). Due to the mix of men in the 22. SS division when 25. SS Division ,,Hunyadi” was being formed due to it comprising of Magyar Hungarians the Ungarische part of the title was dropped from the 22. SS Divisions title in November 1944. This may explain the Volkdeutsche division plans for ,,Hunyadi” that are mentioned in several sources and also why ,,Hunyadi" is sometimes called Ungarische Nr 2.

2 One source mentions a date of April 1944. There is a paper in existance dated 7th August 1944. This is Tgb.nr.111/1236/44 g k . On this paper there is listed "25 Waffen-Gren Div der SS (ung.nr.1)"

3 A rank of Brigadefuhrer is also mentioned

4 Standartenfuhrer Thomas Muller being listed as commander may only have existed on paper as by November 2 1944 the Hungarian Defence Ministry had named Grassy as the commander of the division. Muller’s role as commander was annulled on November 9 1944.

He  took over as temporary commander whilst Grassy was incapacitated due to a car accident late in the war

6 A date of October 20th 1944 is mentioned in one source

7  These were named after Jonas Hunyadi (ca. 1385 – 11/8/1456) a Hungarian military leader who in 1456 defeated a Turkish army that lay siege to Belgrade), General Lajos Kossuth (Hungarian uprising 1848-49), Sandor Petofi (19th century poet), Gyorgy Flip (Hungarian general), Josef Bem (Hungarian general), Artur Gorgey (Hungarian general) and Gyula Gombos (Hungarian Prime Minister). In the end only ,,Kossuth”, ,,Hunyadi” and ,,Hungaria” are formed.

Adam Podhradszky in a memoir states that the 4 Hungarian SS divisions were to be numbered 25, 26, 27 & 28.

Jeno Major in his book describes the Heer divisions as "
4 magyar honvéd hadosztály" ("Hungarian Army (Defence) divisions). He also states that all 8 divisions would be part of Army Group Friessner (Army Group South). The Heer equipped divisions are under Hungarian Honved command whereas the SS units are under joint SS - Hungarian Honved command.

He lists the staff of "Allgemeines Heeres-Amt” (AHA) with which he is to liase as -
Obergruppenfuhrer Juttner (Deputy General Keiner)
Gruppenfuhrer Kuehne
Standartenfuhrer Dieckmann
Standartenfuhrer Pridun (Ia)
Sturmbannfuhrer Hubsch (Ia)
Obersturmfuhrer Lindmajer (aide to Hubsch)
Obergruppenfuhrer Frank (Finance)
Standartenfuhrer Zerbst (Paymaster)

8 The address to apply for service in ,,Hunyadi” was Budapest, District I, Szent György tér 3, II. em. 24

9 The “Levente” was similar to the “Hitlerjugend” but differed in respect of political and ideological training

10 This was a temporary measure. It was hoped that he would become a commander of one of the Hungarian SS divisions. He attended a divisional training course at the war academy in Hirshberg, which he graduated from at the end of December 1944.  He attended the Divisionsführerlehrgänge Course 15: 19.10. - 15.11.1944 at Hirschberg with:
Hans von Ahlfen, Konrad Barde, Gerd-Paul von Below, Wilhelm Bleckwenn, Albert Brux, Heinrich Bürcky, Hugo Dempwolff, Fritz Fullriede (kommandiert, but Lazarett since 21.10.), Heinrich Gäde, Karl Göbel, Hermann Harrendorf, Nikolaus Heilmann (SS), Emmanuel von Kiliani, Alfred Kuhnert, Max Lemke, Alexander Möhring, Willi Nagel, Max Reinwald, Martin Strahammer, Heinrich Voigtsberger, Fritz Warnecke (and untill 22.10. Hermann von Oppeln-Bronikowski).

11  Bodola was I battalion commander at the same time

12 These 800 men had been transferred by rail to Neuhammer without its commander and most of its officers. They had arrived on 10th November. Due to a misunderstanding the 1st Hungarian Schi Battalion was broken up and assigned to various parts of ,,Hunyadi”. Please see section on 1st Hungarian Schi Battalion

(13)  A veteran tells in his memoirs that he caught a train at Turje which comprised of freight cars (cattle wagons) and that they left Hungary via
Szentgotthárd and travelled to Wiener Neustadt. They were accompanied by a German SS Hauptsturmfuhrer. At Wiener Neustadt they got off the train and were de-liced by Russians and Ukrainians POW's. After testing with a light any one found with lice then had their hair removed by hand shears and so was the hair under their arms. Their uniforms taken away for disinfecting and was returned to them later. They were given a number and and it was put on their breast. The number washed away during the de-licing process. A woman kept count of the numbers so no one escaped. Zoldi also accompanied them (by this time he was in German uniform). They travelled on to Prague. Whilst there the troops started to sing but Zoldi told them to stop because of partisans being close. After leaving it was found that 60 people had missed the train in Prague and so the train was stopped and the Hungarian troops were made to run up and down a hill as punishment.

14 The Military police were issued regular Waffen SS uniforms. They were originally issued with standard German gorgets but this was replaced by a bilingual gorget which was made in the divisions workshops, on it was the crowned Hungarian coat of arms and the standard German word 'Feldgendarme'. Their field cap was German and they used the sickle feather and the Hungarian gendarme cap badge. They were armed temporarily until the setting up of the ,,Hunyadi” field police platoon. Because of his methods of restoring discipline Zoldi is later asked to leave the division by Grassy. A veteran of the division names Zoldi as a "csapatcsendőr" (infantry man transferred to the field police) and describes the court martial procedure (even becoming seperated from your company could be considered desertion).

They travelled in freight wagons until they reached Vienna. Their only heating was the clothes they wore and a small stove in the corner of the wagon. They then switched to carriages for their journey to Prague. The carriages were of the old fashioned compartment type.

16A Hungarian source states MP-40’s while other sources state MP-44’s  

17 A man who served in the ,,Hunyadi" division and was around 20 at the same says that the only weapon he was issued was a single panzerfaust

18 Another source lists the equipment as 55 MP-44’s, 21 light machine guns, 3 heavy machine guns, 171 pistols, 5 Pak 40’s, 1600 bicycles and 3000 panzerfausts

19 Sources differ on the date of this visit. The dates range from 31st December 1944 to Early February 1945. Endre Genze in his book mentions that a list of SS ranks along with a list of German commands was put up for the men to learn. He mentions Berger being on the officers stand. He states that the orders went up before Christmas so the December 31 1944 date could be correct. He also states that a company stood still to attention (honour guard?) while other men paraded past the podium.

20 Allegedly this was filmed and shown in Hungarian cinemas as a newsreel one week later

21The uniforms were a mixture of German, Hungarian, French and whatever else was available. One man who served in ,,Hunyadi” gave the following list of equipment that he had issued to him - German cap and German trousers, Belgian officer's jacket, French summer police coat, Yugoslav belt, German underwear and high Finnish boots.
22 One source states around 700 men were sent

23  A 40 mm Anti Aircraft gun was made at the Magyar Királyi Honvédség Bofors works. This may mean that the plan was for 25. ,,Hunyadi” to be issued with Hungarian made guns but this is unlikely and the German 2cm would have most likely been issued to the division.

24 The section was to be commanded by First Lieutenant Janos Horvath and the section leaders were to be First Lieutenant Sandor Zach, Lieutenant Gyorgy Nemeth and Ensign Laszlo Szabo.

The following are strength returns of men from ,,Hunyadi" and ,,Hungaria" at Beneschau.
25.02.1945: 12 Officers, 301 Men.
10.03.1945: 12 Officers, 301 Men.
25.03.1945: 2 officers, 205 Men.
01.04.1945: 5 officers and 192 Men.

25 Please see separate section on 1st Hungarian Sturmjaeger Regiment

26 The Germans planned to use the standard SS oath at the end of the training but it is not know if this was implemented

27 A Kampfgruppe ,,Hammerstein” is mentioned in 2 sources, The dates are the same as the Alarm Regiment at Neuhammer. Please see separate section on the Alarm Regiment

28 These lorries are commanded by Standaertenoberjunker Priedl

29 Two of these are battalion commanders. These are Solti and Duska.

29 ,,Hunyadi” is based in the towns of Allersberg, Georgengmund, Freystadt, Rednitz, Heimbach and Berching

31 Jeno Major in his book has the following itinerary for the visit -

18 March 1945 - Visit Guderian at noon, evening dinner with Juttner at Bad Saarow ( which is to the south of
19 March 1945 - Visit Juttner around noon, afternoon discussions with Keiner (Stand in for Juttner)
20 March 1945 - Visit Himmler in the morning (unsure if Himmler can make the meeting) Afternoon discussions with Kietel
21 March 1945 - Travel by car calling at Hungarian units on the way (Jeno Bor in his book states it was a Levente formation) reaching Bayreuth and staying the night.
22 March 1945 - Visit 1st Hungarian SS division at
Grafenwöhr training camp (Jeno Bor claims they watched parts of the division play war games) stays at Beyreuth the night
23 March 1945 - Morning returns to Hungary.

So the 22nd is the best date for this visit and not the 23rd as originaly stated in the Book by Peter Kosaras.

12 10.5cm cannons, approximately 1000 rifles and 10 panzershreks.

33 One source states that on April 30 1945 a Hungarian company fighting in the Berlin pocket under the command of the ,,Nordland” division, was totally destroyed in a break out attempt at Chausse Allé.

34It is unclear if this parade took place. Both a Hunagrian officer and a seperate German officer who arrived in a Kubelwagen are mentioned as arriving to organise the parade.

35This was most likely the 3rd Cavalry Squadron (mechanised). The men from ,,Hunyadi” destroyed the tanks because the armoured troops had opened fire on either a retreating or unarmed column and according to one source had run over several members of the ,,Hunyadi" division as they rested.








HomeWSS-XVII Armee KorpsWSS-,,Hunyadi" 1WSS-,,Hunyadi" 2WSS-,,Hungaria" 1WSS-,Hungaria" 2WSS-,,Hungaria" 3WSS-,,Gombos" & other DivisionsWSS-,,Szalasi"WSS-Alarm BattalionRFSS-,,Deak"RFSS-1st Schi BattalionRFSS-Brigade ,,Ney"RFSS-1st Sturmjaeger RegimentUniforms & InsigniaSoldbuch'sPaperworkSources/ContactLinks